Monday, July 2, 2007

Struggle Of The Ink

Sounds like a Sci-Fi thriller or something, doesn't it? 44 Union Avenue has been running on GoComics now for what...seven months? I believe it's almost that long. And in that short (or long depending on which end of the pen you're on) time I've been on a quest to use the GoComics as a sort of jumping-off platform to bigger and better things. Namely, Print Syndication.

I've had the luck and privilege to talk one-on-one with the editors at most of the syndicates. I won't say ALL but most of the information I've received in my run-ins with them has been priceless.

What have I learned:

- The major syndicates have no clue how to handle comics on the internet. This isn't me taking a jab at them. This is the truth. I believe they're searching for a profit-making venture on the internet to continue where the waning sales of newspapers are leaving off. But the problem I see is this: You're not going to make money off something that folks can get for free. That's the simple condensed answer.

- Comic strips don't necessarily need to be funny to be picked up. Yeah, humor is subjective...we have all heard that before. But it's my opinion that syndicates are looking for unique before they are looking for true humor. As with any product placement, they have demos they're trying to fill and when something comes along that is in that market arena they jump on it...whether it's funny or not. With that being said, there are some very interesting strips coming down the pipe just might cure what ails me regarding the release of strips we've seen lately. Namely: Cul De Sac, Little Dog Lost, What The Duck...Keep your eye out for these strips. They might be the next big hit.

I think every artist comes to the point in their "career" where they have to sort've stand back and ask themselves why they're doing what they do. I sometimes feel like I'm sliding towards that crossroads. There are so many different types of cartoonists out there. I would say that I fall somewhere in between the webcomic and the nerd aspiring for printed syndication. But the more I think about that second venture, I wonder how realistic the odds are.

There's that old saying: Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it. And I wonder if that would be the case in my situation. More to come on this tomorrow. Tune in, kids.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That still doesn't answer anything for me. Is there hope that your strip will go to print?

Anonymous said...

The next big hit should be 44UA. But alas I'm in no position to help get it there, just another cartoonist. I would vote for it if you score a tryout run though somewhere...

Wit's Junk Blog said...

Thanks, MJ. I really appreciate it. That's the problem...getting the big boys to take a chance. So far, no luck.

Anonymous said...

I hear, and live what you're saying. I feel like I'm out at sea rowing in circles with one paddle. Personal success very moderate with slim hope on the horizon. I get great responses on my marginal work from successful cartoonists, editors, etc. But they still leave me rowing in circles.

Wit's Junk Blog said...

Throw a link up here to your stuff.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the delay Mike, and cartoon fans. I'm trying to slowly move the toon archives over to a streamlined design. I think I have the minor kinks worked out. The link should be on my moniker, right above. Toon On, and Toon In cartoon fans. See you in the funnies.