Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mini-Vans and Crank Shafts

It's a dreary day here in Eastern PA. I actually sort've like these days. The heavy gray sky overhead. The constant light drizzle. It makes the world seem a little closer than usual. Last night we had some hellish thunder storms. And while they were spectacular to watch, the constant power interruptions did very little to help my artistic side out progress-wise. I did manage to get another few pages done on the 44UA collection. So far, I've only gone through the first three months and already I'm up to thirty pages. This book is either going to be roughly the size of War And Peace or someone is gonna have to do some editing.

I usually take a few minutes before work each day to read some bookmarked websites and blogs that are either amusing on a childish level that makes me giggle or informative from a professional level. What I learned today: Chuck Ayers (creator of Crank Shaft) does the penciling for Funky Winkerbean. I've always liked Crank Shaft's look and humor. I just never caught the artistic similarities between Crank and Funky.

My wife has a theory that all mini-van drivers are mad hatters behind the wheel. She believes that they fall into two categories.

1. Drive-Like-A-Bat-Out-Of-Hell Mini-Van Driver: These are the people (usually men in this case) who believe that they are behind the wheel of a Porsche 911 rather than a wood-paneled Chrysler Town and Country. I have a firm belief that the DLABOOH driver is yearning for his younger years and drives like he plans to time-warp back to them.

2. Perpetual-Turn-Signal-Slower-Than-Dirt Mini-Van Driver: These are the folks that drive 35 mph in the freeway's passing lane. THESE are the folks that make my wife see stars.

Personally, I have no problem with mini-vans or their crazed drivers. I hardly notice them (unless my wife is in the car...then ya can't miss them). I wonder what she'd do if I came home with a family truckster of our very own. I'm thinking either divorce or dismemberment.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with your wife on this one. Mini-van drivers suck.

Anonymous said...

I believe the latter. All mini van drivers have their foot on the brake at all times and don't know how to drive faster than a horse and buggy. They should have their license taken away and slapped repeatedly until they come to their senses and buy a real car!

Wit's Junk Blog said...

Now when you say slapped repeatedly, are we talking a fifteen minute slap fest or just a couple whacks with a wet noodle?

Anonymous said...

they should have a guy at the car dealer who stands there and when someone says "i wantt to test drive a mini van," he smacks them with a tennis racket.

Anonymous said...

With a mini van owner/driver I'm pretty sure it's going to take more than fifteen minutes to sway them. Their Jedi Mind Meld with the mini van is pretty strong. I'm thinking it's going to take a five day slapapalooza.

Anonymous said...

I confess, my dream car is a *gulp* mini-van!

*sigh*

Gone are the days of the cute little convertibles... I can't fit our behinds in an Eos, let alone all of the crap we have to haul everywhere... By the time Cinderella loads her 4 purses and 3 baby dolls and Commander Noah lugs his giant space-helmet head, Rodney Copperbottom boots, and backpack that doubles as his Primary Life Support System, we're packed in like sardines! And that's just for a quick trip to the post office or grocery store!

I LOVE MINI-VANS!!!
I can hardly wait to have one!

Anonymous said...

You're kidding, right?